About 50,000 people are infected with HIV each year – a number that really hasn’t changed much in the last couple of decades. So at the forefront of our fight is both prevention and testing.
It’s important for everyone who is sexually active to get a HIV test, particularly those who may have engaged in unprotected sex, been sexually assaulted, exchanged sex or money or anyone who shared drug paraphernalia such as needles and syringes. HIV doesn’t discriminate based on gender, race, sexual orientation or the size of your bank account.
Here’s what you need to know and can expect when you come to Palmetto Community Care for a HIV test:
- We offer HIV and STD testing between 7:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday at our Truesdale location. Testing by appointment at Truesdale location. Contact us at 8434904229 (text) and 8032165108 (call or text) to book
- Tests are free.
- Tests are confidential.
- The test itself involves a simple finger prick to take a blood sample.
- The test is analyzed at our office and results are delivered in about 20 minutes.
- We have staff members available to discuss your results and, even if the test is negative, to talk with you about prevention methods. Free condoms are available at our office.
The HIV test is quick, simple and painless and yet it may be the most important thing you do.
What are the benefits of HIV testing?
- Those who are diagnosed with HIV early are more likely to respond well to treatment and live healthily for a long time.
- Early diagnosis and treatment can reduce the likelihood of onward transmission to others.
- Those who are diagnosed later are more likely to suffer health complications and premature death.
Come by for your free HIV test. If you have questions, call us at 843-747-2273.