Many people may not think they need an HIV test because they don’t believe they are at risk. They may think HIV affects only gay men or drug users, but the truth is anyone who is sexually active is at risk for HIV.
HIV transmission occurs via bodily fluids, including blood, semen, pre-seminal fluid, rectal fluids, vaginal fluids and breast milk. The Centers for Disease Control recommends HIV tests for those between 13 and 64 years old as part of routine health care even if they don’t think they are at risk.
Regular HIV testing is critical because about 1 in 5 people living with HIV is unaware of their infection. That means you could be engaging in behavior with someone who doesn’t even realize he or she is infected with HIV.
Risk Factors To Consider
Some questions to consider from AIDS.gov:
- Have you:
- Had sex with someone who is HIV-positive or a person whose HIV status you didn’t know since your last HIV test?
- Injected drugs and shared equipment (such as needles or syringes) with others?
- Exchanged sex for food, shelter, drugs or money?
- Been diagnosed with, or sought treatment:
- for a sexually transmitted disease, like syphilis?
- for hepatitis or tuberculosis(TB)?
- Been sexually assaulted?
- Have you had sex with anyone engaging in risky behavior such as having vaginal or anal sex without a condom or sharing injection drug equipment with someone who has HIV?
If you answered “yes” to even one of those questions, you could be at risk for HIV. Make an annual HIV test part of your regular health care routine. The best way bring an end to AIDS is through HIV testing and to stop the spread of the disease. Help in the fight against AIDS and come by our testing office today.
Palmetto Community Care provides free and confidential HIV testing at its office. simply stop by between 7:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday. Results are delivered within 20 minutes. Resources and help are available for anyone testing HIV positive. Testing by appointment at Truesdale location. Contact us at 8434904229 (text) and 8032165108 (call or text) to book.